Monday, May 17, 2010

Day Three - A Victorian seaport

Day 3 was a beautiful, sunny day for driving and sightseeing. We made our way to Port Townsend, WA. Port Townsend is a Victorian seaport on the Olympic penisula. There are more homes and buildings from the Victorian age than any town we have ever seen. The building above is the Jefferson County Courthouse and is still in operation. We took a driving tour then went to the Rothschild House Museum. The whole house is furnished with 80% of the original furnishings. Here are just a few pictures from inside the home.
A gorgeous ball gown made for Ms. Rothschild. It is hard to believe it is over 100 years old. I wanted to get a closer look................ The sewing machine in the background is a New Home. Our tour guide took a closer picture of it for me.

Some of the children's clothes. I especially wanted to get a closer look at these. We did get to meet the curator of the Jefferson County museum. She was bringing in boxes of vintage black gowns from the Victorian era to set up for display. She allowed me a sneak peak at some of the gowns. We had a wonderful conversation which only made me want to go back there one day.
An antique rose from the Rothschild garden. The rose bush was planted in 1868.

Jim and I by the porch of the Rothschild House with the Puget Sound in the background. Our tour guide was kind enough to take a picture of us. I wish she had taken more than one...........I have a goofy look on my face.
Our next stop was to the Jefferson County Museum, very interesting but no pics. Then on to Fort Worden State Park for a tour of the Coast Artillery Museum, for Jim.

No comments:

Post a Comment